For many teenage girls, thinking of their first gynaecology appointment can make them extremely nervous. It definitely feels like a new type of doctor’s appointment, and one is unaware of what will happen during the visit. Many mothers of teenagers must be wondering: What exactly is the best time to schedule their daughter’s first appointment with a gynaecologist? However, this not only applies to teenagers, but many other females often wonder when they should start seeing a gynecologist and how often they should schedule these appointments.
In this post, we will discuss when one should start seeing a gynaecologist and what they can expect during those initial visits. Additionally, insights to prepare this post have been taken from various expert gynaecologists, one of whom is Dr. Maalavika Appasani, the best cosmetic gynaecologist in Hyderabad, who is famous for providing effective gynaecological treatments. Read reading to learn more.
What is the Role of a Gynaecologist?
A gynaecologist is a medical specialist who specializes in women’s reproductive health. They have expertise in several aspects, such as menstruation, pregnancy, childbirth, menopause, and the diagnosis and treatment of conditions such as ovarian cysts, endometriosis, cervical cancer, and many more.
A gynaecologist also performs regular screenings like pap smears and pelvic exams to find potential health issues. These screenings can be life-saving when it comes to conditions such as cervical cancer.
When Should One Start Seeing a Gynaecologist?
The following are the reasons for scheduling a consultation with a top gynaecologist:
- Adolescence: Girls should start seeing a gynaecologist during adolescence, especially between the ages of 13 and 15, or when they start menstruating. These initial appointments are vital for establishing a relationship with a gynaecologist, discussing menstrual health, and addressing any concerns one may have about their body. The focus during this time is often on educating people about menstrual hygiene and understanding how the menstrual cycle functions.
- Sexual Activities: If one becomes sexually active, they must schedule an appointment with a gynaecologist regardless of what their age is. Sexual activity can introduce several health considerations, including contraception, sexually transmitted infections (STIs), and pregnancy prevention. It is the role of a gynaecologist to provide guidance on birth control options and STI prevention. If required, they might perform screenings too.
- Menstrual Irregularities or Pain: Experiencing irregular menstrual cycles or severe menstrual pain has become quite a common occurrence. Even many females experience unusual symptoms related to their reproductive system. These symptoms can indicate other underlying conditions, such as polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), endometriosis, or uterine fibroids. An early diagnosis and treatment by an expert gynaecologist can help manage these conditions.If one is experiencing menstrual irregularities, one must seek the help of an expert gynaecologist right away. To do this, one can consider consulting Dr. Maalavika Appasani, a leading cosmetic gynaecologist in Hyderabad at Eternelle Aesthetics.
- Pregnancy: If one is planning to become pregnant or is struggling with fertility concerns, they should visit a gynaecologist for further guidance. The expert gynaecologist can offer guidance on optimizing their health for pregnancy, recommend the necessary prenatal vitamins, and offer advice on lifestyle changes that may improve their chances of conceiving.
- Menopause: As a woman enters their late 40s or early 50s, they experience menopause. Menopause is a natural phase that is marked by the completion of menstrual periods. The symptoms of menopause often necessitate a visit to a gynaecologist for guidance on hormone therapy, symptom management, and bone health. Regular gynaecological care is important during menopause and beyond to monitor overall health.
- Vaginal Bleeding: It is normal for women to experience spotting in the first few months after beginning with birth control methods. If one experiences vaginal bleeding unexpectedly, they must see a gynaecologist to find out why.
- Breast Issues: If one observes a new lump, sensitivity, or discharge in their breast, they should seek the help of a gynaecologist right away. Most of the time, especially if one has not gone through menopause, these disorders are not cancerous.
- Vaginal Odor: Has one ever noticed a smell coming from the vagina that is unpleasant? One must let their gynaecologist know about it if that makes them uncomfortable. This might indicate a sign of bacterial growth or vaginal infection, which requires prescription medication to cure.
- Discomfort During Sex: This is again something that is hard to discuss. However, a gynaecologist is very familiar with this issue, as it is very common among females. If one is younger, a gynaecologist may change birth control prescriptions to include more of the estrogen sex hormone. If one has already been through menopause, the doctor might recommend vaginal estrogen or other types of lubricants.
- Chronic Conditions: If one has chronic conditions that affect one’s reproductive health, such as PCOS or endometriosis, the gynaecologist may recommend more frequent visits for ongoing treatment.
- Other Symptoms: Any uncommon symptom, such as pelvic pain or unusual vaginal discharge, should prompt an immediate visit to a gynaecologist for evaluation and diagnosis.
Therefore, if one experiences any of the above concerns, one must seek the help of an expert gynaecologist for further guidance and get effective treatment at the earliest.
What Can One Expect During a Visit With the Gynaecologist?
The first appointment with a gynaecologist is just like any other regular doctor visit. It begins with basic information about the patient’s health, their medical history, any pre-existing conditions, etc. They might also question if the patient is sexually active. Initially, one might feel a bit awkward discussing everything so personal. However, it is necessary to open up about any problems or medical history the patient has. Most gynaecologists are well-trained in comforting their patients, so opening up with these doctors might not be a major concern.
If the doctor concludes that there is an expected presence of any medical condition that might cause trouble, for instance, the patient might be asked to undergo a pelvic examination. Different samples will be taken from the patient’s pelvic area to detect the presence of any medical conditions.
Note: One must understand that if a patient is on her period, it is better to reschedule the appointment as there might be several complications while examining the patient. Also, women can take someone along during the visit, as it can help them maintain calm.
Seeing a gynaecologist is a vital part of maintaining reproductive health. The timing of the visit will depend on one’s age, sexual activity, and specific health concerns. Regular check-ups with a gynaecologist can help prevent reproductive health issues early, ensuring that one receives timely treatment and guidance for a healthier, more informed life. If one is looking for a female cosmetic gynaecologist in Hyderabad, one can consult Dr. Maalavika Appasani at Eternelle Aesthetics.
The expert cosmetic gynaecologist has more than 12 years of experience and holds special experience in performing cosmetic gynaecology services in her clinical practice. Her interest lies in procedures such as vaginal tightening, labiaplasty, hymenoplasty, monsplasty, hoodectomy, O-shot, G-shot and many more. The top gynaecologist can provide personalized advice based on one’s medical concern for their general or cosmetic gynaecological issue.
To book an appointment with Dr. Maalavika Appasani, a renowned female cosmetic gynaecologist, visit Eternelle Aesthetics.
Also Read: Best Skin Specialist In Bangalore